Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th, 2010--Independence Day


The Fourth of July is a mid-summer metric that carries vivid memories for everyone. I can't resist sharing a few nuggets from my golden childhood; fishing with my Grandfather on Lake Bloomington in Central Illinois, the annual trip into town to watch the fireworks at Chenoa High School football field, and of course the legendary food produced by my aunts & Grandmother (splendid jell-o salads, big fresh tomatoes and corn on the cob, crazy ice cream deserts, and more). Actually, where we ended the day determined if we were going to go into town and watch the fireworks display, or stay at the lake and see the whiz-bangs they had. Both were dismally matched.

This year, I plan to watch the fireworks from the rooftop of my hotel, The Residence Inn in Memphis, TN. Vanderbilt, the valet, has informed me this is the absolute best place to see them in town. I reckon he is right, as the hotel overlooks the Mississippi River. From my room I can see the mighty river churning and rolling south and carrying much needed fresh water to the Gulf of Mexico. My trip started this morning at 9:00 a.m. If you've ever driven 55 south, you know there isn't much to report until St. Louis (except for the awesome place off Exit 37-- http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/9949). I also got a vacation bonus in St. Louis, as I got to see part of an air show going on all around the downtown area by the Gateway to the Midwest, the St. Louis Arch. It was pretty crazy to see a big old Steerman plane bearing down on my vehicle while crossing the Big Muddy. I tried to snap a few pics while I was driving, but that was a near disaster. Once outside and south of St. Louis, the terrain gave way to rolling hills, lush with every hue of green. Then the crazy sedimentary rock formations start, with colorful layers of limestone and minerals; I am definitely not in Illinois anymore.

I rolled past places with curious names like, Herculeneum, Festus, and Cape Girardeau, finally driving past Hayti (and out of the Boot Heel of Missouri) into Tennessee. Memphis came up fast after that, and I was checked into my hotel by 4:30.

Chauntay, the hotel clerk, informed me that if I hurried, I could still make it to Graceland. As I was driving into Memphis I realized that I only have a few hours to make the most of my stay. I made a short list; 1. Graceland 2. Beale Street 3. Fireworks 4. Don't get shot (http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm) I mean, they are number 13, gulp. Anyway, I drove like madwoman to get to the other side of the city to see the King's digs. They close the tours at 5 pm, even on the 4th of July, and I missed it by 5 minutes. I can't think of anything more patriotic than going to Graceland on Independence Day. Ah well, I have an early start tomorrow anyway.

Tomorrow, I plan leave by 7 a.m. to get to Mobile, Alabama by 1 p.m. I hope to meet with Tammy Herrington (Deputy Director, Mobile Baykeepers) tomorrow to figure out what I'll be doing for the week. The hurricane is causing some issues, so I'm simply keeping an open mind -- not to be confused with openly keeping a simple mind. At any rate, I feel a bit like a kid going on an awesome field trip. What will I learn? What will I see? What is the truth?

I've been pondering Independence Day, and what the modern definition of 'independence' means for Americans. We associate independence with freedom, but freedom from what? In the 21st Century will that come to mean independence from fossil fuels? Learning new ways to decrease our total impact on our precious resources? What about independent news resources in this country? Are we getting the truth? The definition of independence is no doubt deeply personal for everyone. This trip for me is an exploration of the meaning of independence. What does it mean for you?

My friend, Linda, can't read this now. But those of you who knew her understand that she was/is an inspiration to me. An inspiration not only in character, but in her writing, her humor, and her sense of adventure. She will be sorely missed.

So, I'm going to wrap up now, but I'm headed out with my new camera, a Canon Power Shot SX 210. Small world, but an artist I know in Duluth, MN, sold me this camera just a couple weeks ago. Even cooler, is his (Tony's) art & photography, which you can see at http://www.tonyferguson.net/, and at http://www.fergyphoto.com/.

Peace.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting. All the best on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be obliged to defend every love, every ending, or maybe there's no obligations now. Maybe I've a reason to believe we all will be received in Graceland- Paul Simon. Rock stars- is there anything they don't know?- Homer Simpson.

    What are we obliged to defend today? And what are we free to do as Americans today? Wade in and clean up this mess or hope BP will grant the right permits to allow us to help? Are you kidding me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it safely to Memphis, missed you in Chicago the fireworks were beautiful and the heat oppressive!! Good luck and be careful... you are an inspiration to all...
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen's Big Adventure! Good luck, I look forward to reading all about it, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love You! So looking forward to experiencing your journey with you from afar. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you are doing is so important for so many reasons. Yes, it is important to help with the cleanup. But you are also now an eye and a voice that will help to document this tragedy. Truth is the greatest disinfectant. Love & Peace. Kate Howell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go with God, Ellie....I too have been thinking about the old memories at the lake over the 4th of July. I count myself so blessed to be able to have been part of the Gramm family. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. El,
    I've stopped watching the news (unreality tv) to get answers on this. I will turn to you for the truth as seen by your beautiful eyes that are bound to be brimming with giant tears. Be safe... we are all watching through your eyes. Thank you for your love of the earth and caring enough to help. peace & love......ch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for doing this Ellen, great writing, you're special!

    ReplyDelete