Tuesday, July 6, 2010

July 6th, I'm starting to understand...

Today I met with Casi Callaway (Executive Director) and Tammy Herrington (Deputy Director) of Mobile Baykeeper http://www.mobilebaykeeper.org/

The first topic of conversation was about the level of difficulty that exists in simply trying to volunteer. I told them my story about first signing up with The Audubon Society, then The Sierra Club, and finally with BP. Sadly, all these organizations stated that they would take my name and information, and call me if any help was needed. Needless to say, I've received no information whatsoever from any of them. The risks of volunteering for something like cleaning up toxic wastes are obvious. There are long term effects from being around the oil, not to mention the dispersants (like Corexit, which BP is using). I also understand that in order to rescue wildlife and animals specific training is required. The program I'm volunteering in, The Field Observer program was put together by Mobile Baykeeper to create an opportunity for volunteers to be the eyes and ears in the field. The volunteers monitor mapped sections of beach front and document findings with photos, video, and exact coordinates.

But the question remains, why would BP spurn the efforts and desire of thousands of American citizens to volunteer to clean up their mess? Could it be that they don't want us to know the truth? That they don't want us to see what corners they are cutting (like covering up oiled sand with clean sand, using phony crews, and any other varied schemes to save money)? I heard a great analogy today from Les Switzer, a fellow volunteer at Mobile Baykeeper; BP has murdered the Gulf, and now they are in charge of cleaning up the crime scene. Furthermore, they are in charge of the investigation!

I also had the pleasure of meeting Antonia Juhasz today http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonia_Juhasz. She is working with PBS (Europe) to make a documentary on the disaster, and she interviewed the team at Mobile Baykeeper plus Les & I in regards to volunteerism, what the organization is doing, and more. I want to be just like her when I grow up. It seems that I'll be talking to some guys at CBS News New York tomorrow as well! More on that later...we'll see if network television is ready for some Ellen action.

One of the most appalling issues to me is the lack of communication between the hired guns brought in by BP to do the cleanup and the residents of Alabama. The clean up crews are sub-contracted by BP, they all sign a waiver stating that they will not "talk" to anyone about what they are doing. This is apparently taken quite seriously. When I approached some workers yesterday, I was cut off by a guy in a white Toyota hybrid (nice touch BP). The man didn't even get out of the car, he just wagged his index finger at me and shook his head, "no". What is there to hide?

However, I am on vacation, and there have been a few random fun notes. Today, as I was walking on the beach at Perdido Pass, a policeman approached me and informed me that they were closing a portion of the beach, and I should turn around and go out the way I came in. "Oil cleanup?" I asked. "Bomb clean up, " he said. Turns out a WWII style mine/bomb washed up in the storms last night. The thing weighs 500 lbs, and looks like that crazy mine from the Gilligan's Island episode (anyone remember that?). I was able to scoot around to the other side and get a picture with my zoom, but it's not much good. Other random sightings today; D.J's Diner--Home of the Deep Fried Burger (sounds like a destination for Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives) and the Spear Hunting Museum (which I understand is not for the faint of heart).

Before I sign off for the day, I'd like to shamelessly say that if you are feeling compelled to do something to help the good folks here in Alabama battle the onslaught of oil, BP's maddening incompetence, etc., there is no better group of hard working people than Casi and her team at Mobile Baykeeper. Please research their website and consider a donation or even a donation of supplies. Also, please don't forget about contacting your representatives and letting them know that what BP is doing is unacceptable and probably even criminal. You can even go crazy and write to the president, for that matter http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml. Together, we can make a difference by putting the pressure where it belongs. Last but not least, consider a trip down here for vacation. Yeah, the ocean is closed, but the beaches are still nice (closer to the hotels) and everyone has a pool. You can still have a day at the spa, a drink at the Hangout http://www.thehangoutal.com/cms/, and soak up the sun.

Peace.

4 comments:

  1. I am beaming with pride!!! I am so proud of you, Ellen. Volunteering changes a person, we both know this. My experiences (as those who know me know all about) have changed my life in the most positive way imaginable. But doing what you're doing.... well, it's above and beyond the call of duty. The duty of BP, our government, the WORLD...and each and every one of us that cares about our environment. You GO girlfriend!!!! Can't wait to hear all the details! Be safe and try to be nice to the CBS guys! No more wrangling with the BP guys in Hybrids... I don't wanna hafta make a "made-for-TV-movie" about ya!

    Love you, Ellen.
    PS.... try not to get the camera taken away as you are documenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insights into what is really going on down there. Take care and, as Cyd said, watch out for that Toyota Hybrid. Come back oil free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled about the journey you are embarking on! I am excited to know that you are going to be bringing truth to this as I don't know what or whom to believe.

    I know this is something you are wrapping your heart around so I'll be anxious to be a part of it from the sidelines cheering you on! You go, friend!! Love ya, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, those beautiful white sand beaches - what tragedy! Looking forward to more of your photos and insights. Love, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete